Stellarvue's Newest SVX Refractor: This year Stellarvue is developing a 140 mm f-6.7 apo triplet refractor. Using all of the techniques we have developed in making our SVX series telescopes, we have shortened the focal length and because the objective is air-spaced, this telescope has outstanding sphero-chromatic correction.The price includes shipping*, cnc machined tube rings, Stellarvue 3.5" focuser with 2" and 1.25" adapters (Optional focusers available including 3.5" Feather Touch and Moonlight), TP-013 Losmandy style rail, and case. Glass is being polished now and we will hand-figure each objective to .99 Strehl! Deliveries begin this summer and for those who order now we are shooting at having yours completed during 2020. The exact date will depend on how long it takes to get each and every objective figured to this extremely high optical accuracy. You may order through this website and pay in full or you can call us at (530) 823-7796 and pay a $1000 deposit with balance due when yours is ready to ship.
Credit Info: SInce this telescope is new and wait listed you should not apply for the credit option now. All you need to do is call us and place a $1000 deposit to get in line. When it nears completion you can contact us and apply for the financing then for the balance. This way your payment and interest only starts after the telescope is shipped.
Two important factors make this objective lens as good as we can make it:
1. Our design uses an Ohara FPL-53 extra low-dispersion center element and a Lanthanum rear element. This lens has a glass combination that delivers the highest-contrast performance we could obtain. It is the same glass used on our flagship telescope, the SVX152T.
2. SVX series optics are individually hand figured in our optical shop to the highest optical accuracy available with excellent optical correction for aberrations commonly seen in mass produced optics. To attain this level of optical accuracy in a relatively short f-ratio, we use special tools and experienced opticians. The work is done right here in our optical shop in Auburn, California. SVX series telescopes are exceptional, placing 98 - 99% of the light precisely where it should be. Stellarvue Premier SVX Series refractors are for the astronomer who recognizes the best when they see it. Each SVX refractor comes with a Zygo interferometric test report taken in our shop, documenting the accuracy of your objective.
Select the focuser you prefer: The SVX140T may be ordered with one of three different 3.5" focusers. Simply select the one you prefer above. Here is a synopsis of the differences:
- The stock Stellarvue 3.5" focuser, which has the longest travel and comes with 2" and 1.25" compression ring adapters and two finder scope shoes. This is the least expensive option and provides a very smooth and stable mechanism. This is a perfect focuser for visual use and imaging with cameras up to full frame. Optec makes temperature compensating motors for this focuser.
- The Starlight Instruments 3.5" focuser, with 4.5" of travel and 2" and 1.25" compression ring adapters. This is an American-made focuser that is equally smooth to the focuser above, but may be slightly more stable under various conditions. If you are serious about imaging and visual use, this upgrade deserves consideration. Both Optec and Starlight Instruments make motors for these focusers.
- The Moonlight Nightcrawler 3.5" focuser with various extension tubes and 2" and 1.25" adapters. This is an advanced, electronic, computerized focuser preferred by dedicated imagers. It is the most expensive upgrade, but for those who want perfection when it comes to imaging, this is considered one of the best. The downside is a very short focuser draw tube length which is great for imaging stability, but requires various extensions when converting to visual use. Since most high-end imagers rarely or never look through their instrument, this is usually no big deal.
The 3.5" aperture of all of these focusers significantly reduces vignetting seen in smaller focusers when imaging.
We use American-made CNC mounting rings, a retracting dew shield, metal dust cap, and protective case.
The Stellarvue C140L case comes standard with the SVX140T. This is our largest heavy-duty soft case. It is made of the same rugged material construction as our other thickly-padded travel cases. This case has two internal dividers that are held in place by Velcro and can be easily removed.
*Free shipping: Order now and when ready, the telescope will ship free to the lower 48 states only. We will ship by either UPS Ground or FedEx Ground. You can upgrade shipping methods by paying the difference. Call us at (530) 823-7796.
Tax: No tax is charged on orders sold and shipped outside of California. If you live in a California high-tax zone, call us at (530) 823-7796 and ask about our California tax discount. Yes, death and taxes are not avoidable, but we can help by giving you a "California Discount" to offset the pain.
OPTIONAL VISUAL ACCESSORIES
You will need a star diagonal, eyepieces, mount, and tripod to observe with this telescope. You will find that a finder scope is helpful in locating objects. We recommend the following:
Diagonal: Optional. Please note, you can purchase our best 2" diagonal above and save $50.
Eyepieces: Optional. We recommend our best eyepieces for this telescope: a complete set of the Stellarvue Optimus eyepieces. Save money when you select the complete set at the top of the page. This set comes with a large, thickly-padded case that holds the Optimus set, two additional 1.25" eyepieces, a 2" star diagonal, and two other items such as a photographic flattener and small camera.
Mounts: For strictly visual use, the M150-K2 is a super stable, basic alt az mount that will hold the SVX140T with great stability.
For imaging we recommend:
Losmandy G11G or
Paramount MYT-K2. This is a great choice for accurate long-exposure imaging.
OPTIONAL PHOTOGRAPHIC ACCESSORIES
Purchase a field flattener or reducer/flattener to turn your SVX140 into a stunning astro-graph.
Photographic Field Flattener: Shoot at 938 mm focal length at f-6.7. For most cameras with up to full-sized sensors, use the SFF4-140T. For larger cameras, we are currently in the process of producing the SFF5 giant field flattener that will handle the largest chip cameras. Select the one that fits your specific focuser.
Focal Reducer/Field Flattener: Shoot at 700 mm focal length f-5. Use the SFFRR.72-140. Select the one that fits your specific focuser.
Air spaced, hand figured 140 mm, 938 mm focal length (f-6.7) fully multi-coated, apochromatic triplet using a combination of extra low-dispersion and Lanthanum elements. Lens is mounted in an adjustable steel cell. .98 -.996 Strehl, test report included.
All aluminum, Instrument White, fully baffled.
6 5/8" (168 mm) diameter, 12" long retracting aluminum dew shield in Instrument White with black anodized fittings.
OTA: 5.5" diameter, 31" long with dew shield retracted and 38" long when extended.
OTA: 19 pounds. Rings weigh 1.4 pounds each. Slightly heavier with the Feather Touch option.
Focusers available (select at the top of the page):
- Stellarvue's highly rated 3.5" dual speed, rack and pinion focuser with 2" and 1.25" compression ring adapters. Includes our standard FBB dovetail shoe for use with our finder scope rings
- Feather Touch 3.5" focuser with 2" and 1.25" compression ring adapters. Includes our standard FBB dovetail shoe for use with our finder scope rings.
- Moonlight Nightcrawler WR35 3.5" computerized focuser. Includes 2" compression adapter, four WR35 threaded extension tubes (1/4", 1/2", 1" and 2"), WR35 to Stellarvue M75 threaded adapter, power supply, left knob rotation & aux focuser/ right knob focus, eccentric cam bearing collimation system, remote temperature probe, ASCOM / non-ASCOM / SKYX, focuser-mounted display.
Very heavy duty CNC mounting rings, American-made using 6061 T6 aluminum plate. Five threaded 1/4-20 holes top and bottom spaced 1.5" and 60 mm apart with one in the center. 5 mm side hole for mounting a red dot or MRF finder.
C140 thickly-padded, heavy duty case.
Optional. Please note, you can purchase our 2" Quartz Dielectric diagonal upgrade for only $199 by selecting it at the top of the page. The upgrade diagonal is the same as the D1040Q deluxe dielectric diagonal, except it does not come with a 1.25" adapter since the telescope already comes with one.
400 X! (human eye = 1)
Contrast & Color Correction (1-10): 10
Photographic Image Circle:
- 60 mm using the SFF5-140 field flattener
- 43 mm using the SFF4-140 field flattener
- 43 mm using the SFFRR.72-140 reducer/flattener