The SVX140T is now available in this "Raptor" version with a more compact carbon fiber tube and dew shield. This is a 140mm, f-6.7 apochromatic refractor made with a super low dispersion Ohara S-FPL-53 or equivalent center element. We shortened the focal ratio specifically designing this telescope for imaging using our dedicated field flatteners.
Optics: SVX series optics are rated at .98 Strehl or higher as measured on our Zygo Phase Shifting Interferometer in red light. To attain this level of optical accuracy, Stellarvue opticians meticulously figure objectives in our shop using the interferometer and a double pass autocollimater. All aberrations are reduced to extremely low levels during this process and the final spherical correction is now made in green light (545 nm) centering the correction in the middle of the spectrum. SVX optics are more accurate than our former SV models. Each SVX series refractor comes with a Zygo interferometric test report taken in our shop, documenting the accuracy of the objective. To see part of this process in action, watch our YouTube video.
Coatings: Extreme broadband, full multi-coatings on each surface transmit more than 99.5% in the visual spectrum, as well as far above and below it. The reason to extend beyond the visual spectrum has to do with imaging. CCD and CMOS detectors in cameras record beyond the visual spectrum. Broadband, full multi-coatings eliminate unwanted reflections seen on CCD images taken through telescopes that have inferior coatings.
Waiting Period: We estimate that an order placed now will be completed in 30-60 days.
- SVX140T-R telescope
- CNC-machined tube rings
- Chose one of three focusers with 2" and 1.25" adapters (Stellarvue, Feather-Touch or Moonlight Nightcrawler)
- C130L Thickly padded, heavy duty carrying case
This telescope is in full production. It is a long process as glass is being polished and hand-figured to .99 Strehl or higher! This process takes up to a year to complete but with 50 of these objectives in production our wait times are now reasonable. To attain this level of optical accuracy in a relatively short f-ratio, we use special tools and experienced opticians. The work is done right here in our optical shop in Auburn, California. SVX series telescopes are exceptional, placing 99% or more of the light precisely where it should be. Stellarvue Premier SVX Series refractors are for the astronomer who recognizes the best when they see it. Each SVX refractor comes with a color Zygo interferometric test report taken at full aperture in our shop, documenting the final accuracy of your objective.
Select the focuser you prefer: The SVX140T-R may be ordered with one of three different focusers. Simply select the one you prefer above. Here is a synopsis of the differences:
- The Stellarvue 3" focuser. This focuser has 4.5" of travel and 2" and 1.25" compression ring adapters. This is our brand focuser that is well known as a stable and smooth 3" focuser with a highly accurate 8 to 1 reduction that allows absolutely precise focusing. This is the same as used on our smaller aperture telescopes. Both Optec and ZWO motors attach directly to this focuser allowing even more precise focusing.
- The Starlight Instruments 3.5" focuser, with 4.5" of travel and 2" and 1.25" compression ring adapters. This is an American-made focuser that is equally smooth to the focuser above, but is larger. Both Optec and Starlight Instruments make motors for these focusers.
- The Moonlight Nightcrawler 3.5" focuser with various extension tubes and 2" and 1.25" adapters. This is an advanced, electronic, computerized focuser preferred by dedicated imagers. It is the most expensive upgrade, but for those who want perfection when it comes to imaging, this is considered one of the best. The downside is a very short focuser draw tube length which is great for imaging stability, but requires various extensions when converting to visual use. Since most high-end imagers rarely or never look through their instrument, this is usually no big deal. *Please note that the default color for the Nitecrawler will be RED unless specified otherwise. For a full list of available color options visit www.focuser.com.
We include CNC machined mounting rings (as opposed to much weaker cast aluminum rings), a retracting dew shield, metal dust cap, and protective case. The Stellarvue C130L case comes standard with the SVX140T-R. This is our largest heavy-duty, thickly padded, soft case. It is made of the same rugged material construction as our other thickly-padded travel cases. This case has two internal dividers that are held in place by Velcro and can be easily removed and rearranged.
OPTIONAL VISUAL ACCESSORIES:
You will need a star diagonal, eyepieces, mount, and tripod to observe with this telescope. You will find that a finder scope is helpful in locating objects. We recommend the following:
Finder Scope: Optional. We recommend the F050W2 finder scope. The proper ring system for this finder is the R050DA ring system.
Diagonal: Optional. Please note: You can purchase our best 2" diagonal above and save $50.
Eyepieces: Optional. We recommend our best eyepieces for this telescope: a complete set of the Stellarvue Optimus eyepieces. Save money when you select the complete set at the top of the page. This set comes with a large, thickly-padded case that holds the Optimus set, two additional 1.25" eyepieces, a 2" star diagonal, and two other items such as a photographic flattener and small camera.
Mounts: For strictly visual use, we are developing a heavy duty alt-azimuth mount that will hold the SVX140T with great stability. We expect to offer it later this year.
For imaging we recommend:
Losmandy G11G or
Paramount MYT. This is a great choice for accurate long-exposure imaging.
OPTIONAL PHOTOGRAPHIC ACCESSORIES: Purchase a field flattener or reducer/flattener to turn your SVX140T into a stunning astro-graph.
Field Flattener: To image with this telescope at 938 mm f-6.7, use the giant SFFX-2. If you selected the 3" Stellarvue focuser as your focuser option use the SFFX-1 as the SFFX-2 is too large to fit focusers smaller than 3.5".
Reducer Flattener: To image at 685 mm f- 5.25, use the SFFR.72 photographic field flattener/reducer. It produces a full frame (42 mm) image circle. When using this reducer/flattener with the 3" Stellarvue focuser it will be necessary to remove the extension tube located immediately in front of the focuser in order to reach focus.
Air-spaced, hand-figured 140 mm, 938 mm focal length (f-6.7) fully multi-coated, apochromatic triplet using a combination of extra low-dispersion and Lanthanum elements. Lens is mounted in an adjustable steel cell. American test report included.
All aluminum, Instrument White, fully baffled.
7.33" diameter retracting aluminum dew shield in Instrument White with black anodized fittings.
OTA: 6 1/8" diameter, 31" long with dew shield retracted and 36" long when extended.
OTA: 22 pounds. Rings weigh 1.2 pounds each. Slightly heavier with the Moonlight focuser option.
Very heavy duty CNC mounting rings, made using 6061 T6 aluminum plate. Five threaded 1/4-20 holes top and bottom spaced 1.5" and 60 mm apart with one in the center. 5 mm side hole for mounting a red dot or MRF finder.
This telescope comes with the heavy duty C130L case which is 39" X 10.5" X 10.5"
Optional. Please note: You can purchase our 2" quartz dielectric diagonal upgrade for only $199 by selecting it at the top of the page. The upgrade diagonal is the same as the D1040Q deluxe dielectric diagonal, except it does not come with a 1.25" adapter since the telescope already comes with one.
400 X! (human eye = 1)
Contrast & Color Correction (1-10): 10
Photographic Image Circle:
- 70 mm using the SFFX-2-140 field flattener
- 43 mm using the SFFRR.72-140 reducer/flattener