ZWO ASI174 Monochrome CMOS Imaging Camera
The ZWO ASI174MM Monochrome Scientific CMOS Camera follows in the footsteps of the ASI120MM-S when it comes to cutting-edge functionality like a high speed USB 3.0 port, an ST4 guide port, a standard 2” interface with M42 x 0.75 internal threads, a 1/4” tripod thread mount on the back, and an AR window. However, the ZWO ASI174 camera has one important difference, and that is the inclusion of a Sony IMX174 monochrome CMOS sensor. This image sensor has a lot going for it when it comes to high quality solar, lunar, planetary, and deep sky imaging:
Sony IMX174 CMOS Sensor Features
- 1/1.2" CMOS: The Sony IMX174 is a 13.4mm (Type 1/1.2) CMOS image sensor with 2.35M effective pixels in a 1936 x 1216 array. Pixel size is 5.86um.
- Pregius Global Shutter: The development of a new pixel with analog memory allows for all pixels to be scanned at once. This global shutter function on the Sony IMX174 sensor means images taken of moving objects will not suffer from focal plane distortion, resulting in high picture quality. This is a really nice feature, especially when you are doing lunar or solar imaging. Bad seeing, wind, or movement can distort the image if the readout speed is not fast enough (<30fps).
- Exmor High-Performance: Exmor is a Sony trademark, and that label means the CMOS image sensor is considered a high-performance model, with high speed processing, low noise, and low power dissipation by using column-parallel A/D conversion.
- High QE, Low Noise: As a general rule, we should be aiming for high QE and low noise. The peak quantum efficiency (QE) for the ZWO AI174 camera is 78%. The QE curve is lightly higher in B & G than the ASI120, and slightly lower is R and IR. Oh, the read noise? It measures out at only 6e-!
- High Frame Rate: At full resolution, the Sony IMX174 sensor operates at 128.2 frames per second at 12 bit ADC, and 164.5 frames per second at 10 bit ADC.
- ROI Mode: Achieve an even higher frame rate with ROI (Region of Interest) mode. This mode allows you to set a maximum of 16 areas for capture inside the effective pixels area.
Everything you will need to control your ZWO camera is available and easily downloadable in one centralized location on the ZWO website. Click here for ZWO Software Downloads.