Save $69 on the Stellarvue SV80ST Full Frame Imaging System.
The SV80ST Imaging System comes with a Stellarvue SV80ST-25SV with Stellarvue's proven 2.5" fully rotating focuser, 2" and 1.25" compression ring adapters, dual heavy duty American made CNC mounting rings, certified, extremely high Strehl optics, a C19 airline carry on case, and the Stellarvue SFF3-80 field flattener. This flattener converts the SV80ST into a wide field, full frame 480 mm f-6 astro graph. This is the wide field triplet to buy if you want to use a telescope both visually and with a full frame or smaller camera.
To complete the imaging system you will need an accurate equatorial mount, camera and guide scope.
The Stellarvue 80 mm f-6 apo triplet uses the sharpest and highest contrast 80 mm apochromatic triplet lens we have ever offered. This is not a mass produced scope using inferior glass and sloppy mechanics. This is a truly premier, hand-crafted 80mm apo.
The Stellarvue SV80ST features an 80 mm f-6 (480 mm focal length) fully multi-coated, 3 element objective lens with an Ohara FPL-53 center element.
Fully multicoated apo triplet objective: The high Strehl, apochromatic triplet objective is triple-tested at Stellarvue to ensure that it performs perfectly. Lenses are better than .96 Strehl, better than our former Russian made lenses. We are now taking the time to provide interferometric test reports with each of our triplet refractors showing how the lens in your telescope actually performs. Hitting a Strehl ratio of at least .95 means your telescope will perform perfectly. These lenses rate even higher.
Each lens focuses light precisely and in addition the extreme broadband coatings on each surface enhance it even further. Using it visually, the stars appear vivid and the background, velvet black. Since these coatings transmit more than 99% in the visual spectrum and far above and below it, reflections seen on CCD images are eliminated. The relatively fast speed and high Strehl optics make the 80 apo an excellent wide field imaging telescope while the visual performance is simply stunning.
Tube and dew shield: Comes with an aluminum tube and dew shield that is finished in Instrument White. Fittings are black anodized aluminum. The dew shield retracts reducing the length of the telescope when being stored. Extending the dew-shield minimizes dewing of the objective at night and serves as a glare shade during the daytime.
Internal tube treatment: The inside of the main tube assembly is painted "ultra flat black" and is baffled to eliminate tube wall reflections.
Difference between aluminum and carbon fiber tubes: The aluminum tube of the SV80ST cools down rapidly and is nearly the same weight as composite tubes. We feel that aluminum is is the best material for this particular telescope as it cools down rapidly and allows for perfect alignment through precise cnc machining.
2.5" Stellarvue focuser: This smooth and stable dual speed, 2.5” focuser provides a full 3.5" of travel. This focuser is excellent for imaging and visual use. The rear of the draw tube is threaded to accept our dedicated photographic field flattener/reducer. This is a heavy-duty rack and pinion unit designed to carry a higher capacity than 2" Crayford focusers. It has an ultra-smooth (10:1 Ratio) fine focus control to attain perfect focus every time. An internal brake system allows the user to adjust capacity. The focuser is fully rotating with a wide groove for smooth and precise rotation. The larger size of this focuser eliminates the vignetting seen in telescopes with 2" focusers.
Optional 2.5" Feather Touch focuser: For $550 additional you may upgrade to the Feather Touch focuser. Be aware while we have open running orders for these focusers, the makers often cannot keep up with our production. If you insist on getting the Feather Touch, check with us first on availability as your order may be delayed as we await more focusers.
SFF3-80 Photographic Field Flattener: This amazing dedicated unit will convert the visual SV80ST into an imaging system that will allow the user to take breathtaking images of deep sky objects including nebulae, star clusters and galaxies. This unit is optimized for use with either a DSLR camera (with optional 48 mm t-ring) or the Starlight Xpress camera available below.
Aluminum hinged rings: The SV80ST comes with two-hinged, American-made, cnc-machined aluminum mounting rings. Each ring has five screws top and bottom. Threaded holes are 1/4-20. There is one center hole, two holes spaced 1.5" apart and two holes spaced 60 mm apart. Use the optional TP14 rail for telescope mounts using the Vixen style rail or use the optional TP6 for mounts that use the larger Losmandy style rail.
Case: The SV80ST comes with a thickly padded, airline carry-on case.
Light gathering and magnification power: An 80 mm refractor gathers 131 times the amount of light the naked eye does. Although Dawes limit states maximum power for telescopes under good conditions is about 189 power for an 80 mm telescope, you can exceed this power on a steady night. This is a true apo triplet capable of high power when conditions permit. Check the Recommended Accessories section to make the best choice for eyepieces.
Two year warranty and Stellarvue's Service: We are with you for life. Stellarvue telescopes and accessories are covered by a two year warranty. But it does not stop there. Since we are a telescope maker, we can repair your telescope for a very nominal fee years after it goes out of warranty, should you accidentally drop it on concrete or otherwise damage it. Buy a Stellarvue Telescope with confidence. Our customer care is legendary.
What else will you need to use the telescope?
We recommend the following accessories:
- Star Diagonal: Our fantastic 2" Star Diagonal.
- Camera: One or more of the following
- Starlight Xpress SX694 Combo: Starlight Xpress SX694 ccd camera, mini filter wheel and Lodestar 2 auto guider.
- DSLR: If you are using a DSLR camera, choose the appropriate, over-sized 48 mm T-ring for your particular camera brand.
- CCD Camera: Choose from our wide variety of 48 mm extensions to match the backspacing of your camera, call us if you need assistance calculating the correct back-focus distance.
- Filters: Astrodon filter set (LRGB and Ha made for the SX694 filter wheel).
- Guide scope: F50G Finder scope and mounting rings.
- Eyepieces: We recommend the complete assortment of Stellarvue Optimus Eyepieces. The 20 mm will provide you with an enormous field of view which will make it easy to locate objects you see in the sky, It will also show you extended objects like the Andromeda Galaxy. Scan the Milky Way with this eyepiece and see hundreds of stars in each field of view. The 9 mm eyepiece is ideally suited for deep sky objects including nebulae, star clusters and faint galaxies. This eyepiece reveals more structure in faint nebulosity with higher contrast. The 3.6 and 4.7 are perfect for viewing planets, double stars and smaller craters on the moon. Under average skies the 4.7 will work best but when the seeing conditions are optimal, the 3.6 mm will show you more detail and enlarge smaller objects even more.
- Mount and tripod: One of the following
- AVX Mount: The Advanced AVX mount is a lightweight, inexpensive and portable motorized, go-to mount. It takes several minutes to set up but once you do, you can use the computer to locate objects and once they are in the eyepiece, the tracking function will keep them there.
- MYT Mount: The Paramount MYT is THE best mount to use for astro-photography. It is pricey but works perfectly. It can also be used to drive any Stellarvue refractor including our SV152T Flagship.